- Understand existing and projected operations
- Determine the characteristics of an ideal facility and site
- Identify potential sites in the metro area
- Examine the feasibility (cost/benefits) of consolidation
The study determined:
- A consolidated facility requires about 52,700 gsf and 10-acre site to accommodate NM DPS State Police activities and projected staffing.
- The anticipated total project cost for constructing a new consolidated District 5 office facility and acquiring land will range from $13.9 to $17.0 million.
- The ideal consolidated site is the I-40 west area, due to its location near future development, planned new transportation linkages, the Bernalillo County Detention Center, the City’s shooting range, and Double Eagle Airport.
- About $5 to $5.9 million of the cost is directly offset by lease payments that no longer must be paid, and potential sale or trade of the existing District 5 site. Potential operating cost benefits include improved operating performance due to more efficient and sustainable utility systems.
Consolidation offers many other qualitative benefits, the primarily potential operating efficiencies.