Architectural Research Consultants, Incorporated (ARC) facilitated a process to develop a master plan strategy to guide all capital improvements in Albuquerque Public Schools (APS) from 2017 to 2022. APS is one of the largest school districts in the nation, with 89,000 students, and 142 school and administrative sites that encompass about 14.4 million gross square feet.
ARC has provided APS with capital master planning services since 1988, when we helped prepare the original facilities master plan for the district. Every five years, ARC guides a systematic process to assess all APS facilities to identify capital improvement requirements and prepare specialized reports and databases regarding these needs. ARC worked with APS Capital Master Plan staff and the Capital Master Plan Review Committee to identify specific capital projects needs to be included in the Capital Master Plan Strategy and associated mill levy and general obligation elections.
The adopted 2017-22 capital strategy budgets $925 million for consideration by voters in four general obligation and mill levy elections. The district will use local resources to:
- Address growth and demands for additional classrooms by building new schools and additions
- Provide additions and renovations to meet the educational and programmatic requirements of the schools
- Renew older school facilities
- Provide educational equipment and technology
- Provide resources for district support and other needs